Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Down to the Bay: A Jersey City Photo Essay

IMGP4642

I’ve been to the southern end of Liberty State Park many times, and taken many shots of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge from there, and Port Liberté too. But I’d never walked along the Hudson River Walkway past Liberty National and down to the bay.

IMGP4644

Heck, I’d never really known that walk was there until one day, after having breakfast at the Liberty Café, I decided to take a look. I didn’t walk very far; I just walked past the clubhouse for Liberty National and then returned to my car. But I came back early the next morning with my camera and had a ball.

Here I’m well past that clubhouse and am looking back at it, the merged Jersey City and Manhattan skylines, and those lovely weeds:

IMGP4675

Now the path heads out over the marsh, anywhere from a foot to five feet or so above it. I’m pretty sure this walkway was submerged by Sandy:

IMGP4692

There’s no sign of human habitation here. But I like that birch tree on the right.

IMGP4698

IMGP4700

IMGP4715

Here we see Liberty National on the right behind that retaining wall. The path leads down to the shore:

IMGP4724

There is is, the beach. Beaches are magical places. They connect to all the world. What washes up on the beach, where did it come from?

IMGP4729

IMGP4751

Now we just look around.

IMGP4812

IMGP4853

A glance at Boss Hague’s legacy:

IMGP4915

And a glance at the sun. When it’s low in the sky it brings things alive.

IMGP4942

IMGP4984

IMGP5005

IMGP5012

No comments:

Post a Comment