Olin Wright has laid out five criteria for evaluating utopian visions:
- Evaluate alternatives in terms of three criteria: desirability, viability, achievability
- Do not let the problem of achievability dictate the discussion of viability
- Clarify the problem of winners and losers in structural transformation
- Identify normative trade-offs in institutional designs and the transitional costs in their creation
- Analyze alternatives in terms of waystations and intermediary forms as well as destinations. Pay particular attention to the potential of waystations to open up virtuous cycles of transformation.