Friday, November 3, 2023

Quickie 2: Spider-Man, on to the next film in the trilogy [Media Notes 98b] [public debate about AI]

In yesterday’s post about Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, I said I’d finish watching the film. I have, though it took a bit of will for me to push through to the end. The remarks I made in yesterday’s post remain in force: interesting style with potential, protagonist too damn whiny, too much action (this complaint bleeds into the style remark and is in tension with it).

I don’t suppose I’m giving away much when I say that Miles Morales still doesn’t know who or what he is, though he now does seem determined to follow HIS path, whatever the hell that may turn out to be. His female Spider-Verse friend, Gwen, seems to have found her path as well. In fact, she seems to be in better shape than Miles.

However, while watching I suddenly got a vibe that the public discussion/debate about artificial intelligence has a similar adolescent feel about it. I’m thinking particularly about the remarks by ‘experts’ of various stripes. The fact that AI Doom is part of this debate is a big component of this adolescent feel. I’ve known about these thinkers and concerns for some time, but I wasn’t expecting it to have a significant role in the public debate. Science fiction has leaked into reality in the minds of these people and now it’s bleeding on the body politic.

Much of this debate has a personal feel – I’m thinking particularly, but not only, about remarks on the site formerly known as Twitter. Territory is being staked out and reputations are being burnished and defended. Scoring points has become as important, if not more so, as making coherent arguments. It’s Jets versus Sharks. Who’s got the fastest car? Who’s taking Becky to the prom?

It's crazy!

* * * * *

Will someone please tell Elon Musk to put a sock in it and STFU!

The New York Times has a somewhat more sober take on the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment