Friday, February 23, 2024

The great Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson

See these posts: Tell me about the blues: Trane,Ornette, Hannibal, Hannibal Lokumbe: "The most sacred place I've ever heard music performed in is a cotton field in Elgin, Texas," and this one over at 3QD: Tell Me About The Blues. From that last one:

I do believe that the worthies of the Pulitzer Prize committee should award some kind of prize to Hannibal. In my opinion he’s as interesting a composer as that other trumpet player. I mean no disrespect. Wynton Marsalis is a fine player, composer, and band leader. But he hasn’t led no army across no Alps on no elephants! I’m just sayin’. Yes, I understand you prized Ornette Coleman, Henry Threadgill, and Anthony Davis and you gave posthumous awards to Scott Joplin, Duke Ellington, Thelonius Monk, and John Coltrane. Thank you very much. But Hannibal ain’t dead, not yet. Don’t let his dreadlocks put you off. It’s only hair. Now’s the time. Get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment