Wednesday, March 9, 2022

A useful definition of AGI (artificial general intelligence)

The term, I believe, was coined sometime in the 1990s because, by then, work in AI had concentrated on narrow application domains of one sort of another (e.g. chess). So, artificial general intelligence (AIG) is not narrow. It is broad. Here's a defintion supplied by Tom Davidson about a year ago:

By AGI, I mean computer program(s) that can perform virtually any cognitive task as well as any human, for no more money than it would cost for a human to do it. The field of AI is largely understood to have begun in Dartmouth in 1956, and since its inception one of its central aims has been to develop AGI.

OK. I note that the scope is very broad, which is no surprise to me.

But what does it mean? Yes, I know what the words mean and all that. But "any cognitive task"? Would you can to enumerate them? If not, then just how are we to work with that phrase?

No comments:

Post a Comment