Saturday, August 14, 2021

What’s a proper work week?

A query (in NYTimes):

I am 27. In the last year, I landed my dream job. My job has purpose. My skills and qualifications are used and challenged. My co-workers and supervisors are unparalleled but alas: 40 hours a week is not sustainable. I have hobbies. I have creative pursuits and therapy and laundry, and I own a small dog, so I am busy. My partner and I are considering starting a family in a few years. Because I already feel like there is not enough time in the week, I wonder what getting away from the 40-hour workweek looks like. I have considered self-employment, trying out the artist lifestyle, going back into academia, mildly rejecting capitalism, but maybe I should just get over it? Thoughts?

— Brit, Indianapolis

Most of the answer:

At 46, as the workaholic daughter of immigrants with an intense work ethic, I am inclined to tell you that this is life. You have to get over it and find a way to balance your professional and personal lives. For many people, only having to work 40 hours a week at one job would be a dream. It’s important to acknowledge that. But we do live in a country obsessed with work to the detriment of our collective well-being. You ask an important question and one many of us struggle with. Is this all there is? Are our lives destined to be consumed by work? It is kind of maddening. Work is a means to an end. If you’re lucky, you enjoy what you do and thrive professionally but we’re not working for fun. We are working in a capitalist society that demands our participation.

Many European countries model more reasonable work/life balance. In July, Iceland shared results of a four-day workweek trial that showed great results. So there are alternatives to working a 40-hour week. You should know that most of the other options you list are more demanding than you might think.

Still, I wonder: With a shorter workweek, how would people occupy their time? Brit may not lack for activities, but I fear many people would. When you’ve spent a great deal of your time in work mode, it’s difficult to do anything else even when the time is open and available.

And, I wonder, our society has so moralized work that it might be difficult to break away even from work that is boring at best, but crushing at worst. You may not get any pleasure out of it, and little satisfaction, but morality demands it of you, so you grit it out.

If we, as a society, are to move beyond work, we’re going to have to rebuild ourselves, starting with childhood. How will we do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment