Saturday, September 24, 2022

AI Doom cult at 3QD + TEDx talk and essay contest

Two weeks ago I published another essay at 3 Quarks Daily:

It’s a decent essay, in particular I like the capsule history I sketch for the emergence of AI Doom as an issue. But it’s hardly my last word on the subject.

* * * * *

Here’s a TEDx talk from 2017 by a high school student, Andrew Zeitler, entitled, “The Truth Behind Artificial Intelligence.”

It opens with two quick versions of the future, one in which AI is the center of a world of luxury and enjoyment and the other in which AI destroys the human race. At about 14:08 he says the technological singularity will arrive in 2029. He concludes by quoting Edsgar Dijkstra: “The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim.”

He's bright and engaged but, as far as I can tell, does not have deep technical knowledge of AI. He presents these ideas as obvious truths. I have no idea how many people share his beliefs. But relatively few people are in a position to think these matters through with any degree of sophistication.

I have no idea when these issues will be resolved. But I suspect that, at this level, they are issues being driven by symbolic concerns, not technical ones. We’re working through a cultural mythology for the 21st century.

* * * * *

This is epistemic theater, but also PR (signaling). For those purposes the contents of the essays are irrelevant. How much more such theater is in store for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment