Friday, October 13, 2023

On the importance of children's play

Peter Gray, D4. The Decline in Kids’ Freedom from 1950 to 1990 was Gradual, with Multiple Causes. Play Makes Us Human, Oct. 5, 2023:

In Letter D2 in this series I contended that a major cause of the continuous rise in teens’ suicides, from 1950 to 1990, was a continuous decline over this period in opportunities for kids to engage in the sorts of independent activities that are essential both for immediate happiness and development of the courage, confidence, and sense of agency required to meet life’s challenges with equanimity.

Some readers, who were kids in the 1970s and recalled a childhood of far more freedom and independence than kids have today, were surprised by my contention that children’s freedom had already been declining before the 1970s. Because of this, I’m presenting here some history about kids’ lives over the 40 years from 1950 to 1990. I’m relying on published works on the history of American childhood, but, for illustration, am also providing examples from my own life. I was born in 1944, so I have lived the decades described here. I hope you won’t think I’m being too egocentric in referring to my own experiences. I do so because these are the examples I know best. (Well, and it is fun to reminisce.)

In his book on the history of children’s play in America, Howard Chudacoff (2007) refers to the first half of the twentieth century as the golden age of play. Child labor laws had largely freed children from sweat shops by the beginning of the century, and the Progressive Movement early in the century emphasized the value of play, creativity, and freedom. Schools allotted plenty of time for play, and children were generally welcome in public spaces everywhere when school wasn’t in session. Despite two world wars and the Great Depression, and despite many other social ills, 1900 to 1950 was generally a great time to be a kid. Children spent huge amounts of time playing and exploring outdoors, with other children, largely away from adults.

The societal changes that reduced children’s opportunities for independent adventure after about 1950 include the arrival of television, the rise of adult-directed kids’ sports, the gradual exclusion of kids from public spaces, the declining opportunities for gainful employment or meaningful contributions to the family economy, and, finally, the increased mandate that kids must be constantly monitored and protected. I take these one at a time below.

There's more at the link. H/t Arnold Kling.

No comments:

Post a Comment