Thursday, October 8, 2020

Form, computation, and plot summary: A short note on method

I’ve just made a short post about To Catch a Thief. It’s been on my mind for weeks but I didn’t post because: 1) what I had in mind was simple, really, but 2) as I thought about it I realized that I would get tangled up in recounting the plot, more so than I wanted for such a post. Well, I managed to skim over the plot rather quickly, but I fear, alas, the post is likely to seem a bit cryptic.

But then, going back to graduate school days this has been an issue. When dealing with narrative I’m always summarizing the plot. Why?

Well, because I feel it’s necessary in order to understand what I have to say, which often seems obvious once I’ve said it. Why is it necessary?

Because – now that I think of it – what I have to say is ultimately about computational form. I need to summarize in order to set out the computational framework; the syntagmatic structure governs the computation, so you need to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment