Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Amazing: Wet Seal+ and Chuck Close does Philip Glass

For some reason this photo has proved unusually popular in the last however many hours (it's 4:08 PM, Mar. 10, 2015). Why all the views all of a sudden? – 19 views today out of 113 all-time views:

20141005-IMGP1080

I took it in the Newport Mall in Jersey City on 5 Oct. 2014. I guess that "Wet Seal+" is the name of a store. What interests me, though, is that face at the right. It's the minimalist composer, Philip Glass, as painted by the artist, Chuck Close. How did THAT end up in a shopping mall? Neither are middle-American icons, though I'd guess that Glass is better known than Close.

Since the image is OF Glass I'd think he's the more important of the two in this context. Perhaps there's something at the bottom of the poster that indicates who put the image there and, by implication, why. But I didn't take note of those things. I just snapped the photo while walking through the mall.

For what it's worth, here's a companion photo:

20141005-IMGP1078

It's not so popular – only 45 total views, none today. The poster at the left is of an Andy Warhol, and we can see the identification at the bottom. Looks to me like some kind of campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment