Saturday, September 9, 2017

Leo P. WAILS on the baritone sax, dances too

I came across this clip by accident. Well, not really I suppose. YouTube probably served it up to me because its AI informed it that it's my cup o' tea. Which it is. Mingus music, played with soul and conviction.



I'm sure I've seen Leo P. busking in the NYC subway w/ a couple of other guys. There was this baritone sax player with the colored hair who jumped all over the damn place as he played. How many of those can there be?

So watch and listen and get your groove on. If you don't want to listen to the whole 21 minutes, fast forward to about 15:03, where Leo takes another solo. He plays the sax with one hand while making gestures with the other (and facial expressions, too). It's a gimmick, but it works. And it points up the whole-body nature of music.

Now, compare with this somewhat more restrained clip of Jerry Lewis gesticulating to Count Basie:

No comments:

Post a Comment