Friday, July 29, 2016

Descriptive Tables for Tezuka’s Metropolis, A Note on Descriptive Method

I've added another working paper, title above. It contains information supplementary to my article, Tezuka’s Metropolis: A Modern Japanese Fable about Art and the Cosmos (PDF). You can download the tables from Academia.edu:


Abstract: This document contains analytical tables for Osamu Tezuka’s Metropolis. The tables demonstrate that the text is ring-form as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4’, 3’, 2’ 1’. The outermost structure is a framing device while the innermost structure reveals a variety of “secrets.”

CONTENTS

Ring Form 2
Rings in Tezuka 3
Summary Table 4
Full Table 5

While I offer a few remarks on ring-form I do not say much about Metropolis itself beyond what you can see in the tables, though I have some remarks about why and how I undertook the analysis. While the full table does contain a good deal of the story, it’s not really in a form suitable for reading. At the very least I assume that you have read and know the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment