Sunday, August 23, 2026

Elsbeth and the tech bro’s panic room [Media Notes 190]

I’ve been watching episodes of Elsbeth off and on. It’s a spin-off of The Good Wife and The Good Fight. Elsbeth Tascioni is an eccentric attorney assigned to the New York Police Department on a consent decree. She functions as a sleuth in each episode. I’m interested in episode 36, “Bunker Down” in season 3 (airing on Nov. 13, 2025). Here’s how Wikipedia characterizes the episode:

Paranoid fintech [financial technology] billionaire Craig Hollis traps his crisis manager Anders Whitman in Craig's state-of-the art panic room, erratically believing that Anders will report his "indiscretions" to his company's board of directors.

Hollis is presented as particularly eccentric and willful in his ways. I couldn’t help but think of this as a deliberately nasty satire of an archetypal billionaire. Perhaps it was Hollis's glee in all the gadgetry incorporated into the room.

High tech billionaires are not particularly rare in movies and TV. But this one somehow struck me as a particularly nasty depiction. Not twirling mustaches nasty – he was clear shaven – but nasty. I’m wondering if we’re in for a rash of such characters.

2 comments: