Sunday, July 26, 2026

NYTimes: AI needs human supervision in order to complete an entire job.

From the NYTimes article linked in the tweet:

We gave an A.I. tool full access to a laptop with pre-configured apps and sought to answer a simple question: Can artificial intelligence do an office job?

Some corporate executives seem to believe it can. More than 200 tech companies have cut roughly 120,000 jobs this year, according to Layoffs.fyi, an industry tracking site; Meta, Oracle and others have all recently made substantial cuts to their work forces, citing A.I. as the driving force; and after laying off about 1,100 employees, the chief executive of Cloudflare said recently that he expected A.I. to replace workers in middle management, finance and marketing.

tweIn our experiment, we deployed A.I. “agents” to act as office workers and found that they were capable of performing some of the tasks we assigned, but not all of them. The agents, which can act autonomously and make decisions based on detailed instructions, excelled at problems they could solve by writing computer programs. But they struggled with understanding the nuances of human language and at navigating user interfaces like the Chrome web browser.

The article then has a series of nice quasi-interactive displays illustrating agent performance on three tasks. The displays include screen shots of various messages and documents.

About the tasks:

This task, and the others we assigned to the A.I., were adapted from papers and benchmarking tools published recently by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University and OpenAI. The researchers designed the benchmarks to test the performance of various models — like OpenAI’s GPT, Google’s Gemini and Anthropic’s Claude — in real-world environments, and compare them with one another.

General conclusion:

The results of our experiment roughly matched what researchers and companies have found as they have tested and used artificial intelligence tools. Scale AI, an A.I. training company, recently tested agents on real freelance projects, and the best-scoring model produced client-ready work only about 16 percent of the time.

While A.I. can excel regularly at complex tasks, it can be unreliable when put in charge of an entire job. It can certainly add value to certain areas of the work force, but for now, A.I. still needs a human boss.

* * * * *

Comment: Around the corner my colleague, Ash Jogalekar, has tweets like this one:

So here's a great example of where we are with agentic AI: Instead of just being an assistant, it's behaving more like a collaborator and creative scientist.

In a recent project, I gave the system a molecular design problem typical of the problems we encounter in chemistry. Two similar molecules were giving very different results.

He then runs through an account of what his AI collaborator did, concluding:

I think we have crossed the Rubicon. Agentic AI now no longer just processes tasks and automates workflows blindingly fast, but it can generate hypotheses, test them, test counter-hypotheses and go back and forth and course-correct if necessary, all with minimal to no human intervention. It's now embodying the general scientific method.

[I've copied another one of Ash's tweets to this post, A scientist reflects on what AI has done for him.]

What’s interesting to me, and very revealing, is that a complex set of tasks in scientific investigation seems to be on a level with routine office tasks, as though one were no more complex than the other. But humans require years of college education in order to perform the former while the latter requires no more than a high school education, if that. It seems that once they’ve been been learned and compiled, all tasks or sets of tasks are on the same “level” in the brain. The educational prerequisites required to do such tasks for the first time or three get “compressed out” through repetition. Since AIs are trained on written records of what humans have said and done, they don’t have to go through the ordinary learning process. The compression has already taken place and is present in the documents on which they are trained.

No comments:

Post a Comment