Last Saturday (July 18, 2026) I posted, Some notes on AI and “fine art” imagery, which included these two images, remarking that the first seemed superior to the second:
But I didn’t ask why it is superior. Now I’m asking: Why?
FWIW, ChatGPT produced the first image based on my prompt. I forget the exact working of the prompt, but it was simple. After uploaded a long document about virtual reading I directed it to create an image for the cover of that document. That color image is what it gave me. I liked the form, but found the color distracting, so I asked it to render the image as a Renaissance engraving, resulting in the first image.
To investigate the question I used Photoshop to alter the color version. For this one I reduced the level of saturation:
Here I rendered the image in monochrome blue:
Finally, monochrome grayscale:
All three strike me as being superior to the original color image. The de-saturated version still has color in it, but the color is not so prominent. The monochrome blue has color information, obviously, but only one hue, so there is no contrast between hues. Finally, the grayscale image has no color information at all. Of the two monochrome images, is one better than the other? At the moment I like the blue better than the grayscale, but I’m not sure it matters much.
But I like the engraving rendition better than either of those. Why? It has a much richer texture. Without bothering to has things out, let’s posit that as part of the reason for the superiority of that version over the original color version.
But that doesn’t explain why the other three are superior to the original. What they have in common is less color information. There’s no color information in the grayscale image and the range of color information in the other two is reduced, drastically so in the blue image.
Why should that matter? Let me speculate. The vision system handles brightness differently than it does hue. Luminance is picked up by so-called rods in the retina while color is picked up by cones. To my eye the color information is just there in the color image. It forms no interesting pattern one its own and it doesn’t seem to be interacting with brightness in any way. It adds nothing but color itself.
Let’s speculate a bit farther. Some years ago Mark Changizi published The Vision Revolution (2009). He argued that the biological purpose of color vision is to allow us to read one another’s emotions more accurately based on gradations in skin color. I find his arguments persuasive. Now, while that may be the primary function of color vision, color vision obviously is not confined to how we see other humans. We use it generally in the world.
Now, let’s look at that image. The only recognizable object in it is that book, and it has very little color in it. The rest of it is just spots, lines and swirls that doesn’t look like anything. But maybe it looks a little like veins beneath the skin, not much, but perhaps enough to “invite” the color system to look for emotional resonance, and fail. It’s that invitation-and-failure that makes the color information, not simply irrelevant, but actively distracting.
Do I believe this? Yes and no. It’s speculation. I just made it up. To move from there to belief I’ve have to come up with a way of actually investigating the question, which is more than I’m in a position to do at the moment.
Mulling. Sometimes monochrome even looks … better in some sense… on human faces. 🤷
— Mark Changizi (@MarkChangizi) July 20, 2026





Bill, as serendipity would have it, this popped into view the other day.
ReplyDelete(Refs to studies on page)
"Painters in the Mediterranean School depicted bluer skies and clearer conditions than their British counterparts, whose paintings showed overcast skies and lower visibility. No English paintings depicted a completely clear sky.
"In 2011, researchers Karen Aplin and Paul Williams quantified the frequency of musical allusions to weather in orchestral music over time. Storms, not surprisingly, were the weather type most frequently represented, followed by wind, cloud, rain, sun, and fog. Of the pieces they chose to study, all those depicting frontal storms were in minor keys, and all those depicting fair weather were in major keys. By a large margin, the most common nationality of weather-depicting composers was British.
...
(Hans Neuberger, “Climate in Art,” Weather 25:2 [February 1970], 46-56; Karen L. Aplin and Paul D. Williams, “Meteorological Phenomena in Western Classical Orchestral Music,”Weather 66:11 [November 2011], 300-306. Here’s a related study looking at popular music.)
Via
https://www.futilitycloset.com/2026/07/17/weather-and-art/
Linguistic relativity and the color naming debate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity_and_the_color_naming_debate
Blue–green distinction in language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue–green_distinction_in_language
"Isaac Newton included blue as one of the seven colours in his first description of the visible spectrum.[12] He chose seven colours because that was the number of notes in the musical scale, which he believed was related to the optical spectrum. He included indigo, the hue between blue and violet, as one of the separate colours, though today it would be categorised as blue.[13]"
...
"Linguistic research indicates that languages do not begin by having a word for the colour blue.[10]
[... "... and in this fascinating RadioLab episode, which inspired Loria's feature."]
[10] "Why Isn't the Sky Blue?"
May 21, 2012
https://web.archive.org/web/20181025072538/https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/211213-sky-isnt-blue
"Actually See Blue Until Modern Times
FIONA MACDONALD
7 APRIL 2018
"Human vision is incredible - most of us are capable of seeing around 1 million colours, and yet we still don't really know if all of us perceive these colours in the same way.
But there's actually evidence that, until modern times, humans didn't actually see the colour blue.
"... when scholar William Gladstone - who later went on to be the Prime Minister of Great Britain - noticed that, in the Odyssey, Homer describes the ocean as "wine-dark" and other strange hues, but he never uses the word 'blue'.
...
"This all suggests that, until they had a word from it, it's likely that our ancestors didn't actually see blue.
"Or, more accurately, they probably saw it as we do now, but they never really noticed it.
...
"... and in this fascinating RadioLab episode, which inspired Loria's feature."
https://web.archive.org/web/20220624002709/https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-didn-t-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-evidence-science
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue
"Dialed.gg is a simple browser game that shows you a color, hides it, asks you to recreate it from memory, and scores you on how well you did. [Another example of the natural divergence in learning, interpreting and recalling information.] [Camel, rhinoceros, rabbit…but what colors are they? Perfect score?]
https://dialed.gg/?ref=ideasurplusdisorder.com
I highly recommend re color, The RadioLab podcast
And suggest asking to simplify color images elements, to see if "i liked the form, but found the color distracting" until the color isn't distracting. ymmv.
SD
Serendipity in action. 1 bit.
ReplyDeleteI visited kottke after posting above comment and on page is...
posted 13h ago by Jason Kottke
"I love the 1-bit aesthetic of this story-driven city builder game called GlagStone.
"GlagStone · store.steampowered.com
A 1-bit story-driven city builder inspired by late-80s Macintosh aesthetics. Rebuild a remote northern islan
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4198840/GlagStone
https://steamcommunity.com/app/4198840/
GlagStone - Official Announcement Trailer - YouTube
1:16
13 Jul. 2026 GlagStone is a story-driven 1-bit city builder inspired by late-80s Macintosh games.
https://youtube.com/shorts/ejKTaX_Apns
NexusGamingHQ
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/nexusgaminghq
SD
FWIW, color may be the single most thoroughly investigated aspect of human psychology, from genetics, through growth and development, to the brain, behavior, and culture.
Delete